Monday, September 17, 2012

Thousand Islands photo diary

Boldt Castle
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
(The inside and outside of the beautiful house my uncle built.)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
(There are houses on those two tiny islands.)

I was so lucky to spend this past weekend in Thousand Island Park in the house my uncle built. My cousin now owns it and she was so nice to let my family and I stay there. This little community holds so many amazing childhood memories for me.
When we arrived I had found nothing had changed. Not even the house. Everything came back to me: the river, the houses on the tiny islands, the swimming hole, and the beautiful victorian cottages.

On Saturday we took an amazing boat tour and went to Boldt Castle. It's a beautiful place, but also a little sad. George Boldt built the castle for his wife, but she died before it was finished. He abandoned the place and it sat empty for decades. Now it's restored and some of the bedrooms and all of the downstairs have been completed.

It was a wonderful and relaxing weekend (despite having to ride in a tow truck home because our car broke down). I hope you had a wonderful weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment